The other night I was having some friends over for a wine night. I asked what they wanted to have for dinner that evening, they both said they would prefer something light. So, I thought well why not a layered salad. It is summertime, and a layered salad just sounded like a good idea. While I was searching for a good recipe, everything I found didn’t seem to have enough protein. I came across a few great recipes, but they were all more like side salads. I wanted this salad to be dinner, I wanted it to be filling! After searching and not finding something I thought would be substantial enough, I decided to create something myself. Here is the southwestern layered salad I came up with.
Southwestern Layered Salad Ingredients
- One bag of hearts of romaine.
- One can of black beans, drained and rinsed.
- One can of corn, drained.
- One medium green bell pepper, diced.
- Cherry tomatoes, I only used 2/3 of a pint container and cut them all in half.
- 1/3 cup of salsa.
- One bag of Tyson’s Grilled and Ready Oven Roasted Diced Chicken Breast (feel free to cook your own chicken breast for this salad, you won’t need more than a half of pound. This was just the easiest option for me.)
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese.
- One Avocado, diced.
Putting the salad together.
- In a large bowl, stir together the black beans and salsa. This is now the base of your salad.
- Next, add the lettuce. Then the corn, green pepper and tomatoes.
- On top of the tomatoes, I put the cheese, then the chicken, and avocado on top!
- Enjoy with your favorite dressing. I chose this new Chili Lime Ranch from Hidden Valley to go with mine. 😊
I love being ready for a busy week by planning what I am going to cook each night. I created this fun Flamingo Menu planner to brighten up the summer meal planning and wanted to share it with you. Just click the flamingo menu words above to download your copy now, or join the mailing list and I will be sending it out in the next newsletter for you to print out at home. Enjoy!